- Integral part of human experiences since beginning of time .
- Which creates all kind of losses to the individual.
French word “DESASTRE “ & Italian word “DISASTRO”
which means “Bad star
“Any occurrence that cause damage,ecological disruption ,loss of human life,deterioration of health and health services on a scale sufficient to warrant an extra ordinary
response from the outside community or area"-WHO
“The adaptation of professional nursing knowledge, skills and attitude in recognizing and meeting the nursing, health and emotional needs of disaster victims.
”GOALS OF THE DISASTER NURSING
- To meet the immediate basic survival needs of populations affected by disasters (water, food,shelter, and security).
- To identify the potential for a secondary disaster.
- To appraise both risks and resources in the environment.
- To correct inequalities in access to health care or appropriate resources.
- To empower survivors to participate in and advocate for their own health and well-being.
- To respect cultural, lingual, and religious diversity in individuals and families and to apply this principle in all health promotion activities.
- To promote the highest achievable quality of life for survivors
PRINCIPLES OF DISASTER NURSING
- Rapid assessment of the situation and of nursing care needs.
- Triage and initiation of life-saving measures first.
- The selected use of essential nursing interventions and the elimination of nonessential nursing activities.
- Evaluation of the environment and the mitigation or removal of any health hazards
- Adaptation of necessary nursing skills to disaster and other emergency situations. The nurse must use imagination and resourcefulness in dealing with a lack of supplies, equipment, and personnel.
- Prevention of further injury or illness.
- Leadership in coordinating patient triage, care, and transport during times of crisis.
- The teaching, supervision, and utilization of auxiliary medical personnel and volunteers.
- Provision of understanding, compassion, and emotional support to all victims and their families.