Mental Health and Characteristic of mentally Healthy person
It is a state of balance between the individual and the surrounding world, a state of harmony between oneself and others.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO)-
Mental health is “a state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community”
Karl Menninger (1947)-
Defines mental health as "An adjustment of human beings to the world and to each other with a maximum of effectiveness and happiness."
The American Psychiatric Association (APA 1980) defines mental health as-
"Simultaneous success at working, loving and creating with the capacity for mature and flexible resolution of conflicts between instincts, conscience, important other people and reality".
Characteristics of a Mentally Healthy Person
- He has an ability to make adjustments.
- He has a sense of personal worth, feels worthwhile and important.
- He solves his problems largely by his own effort and makes his own decisions.
- He shows emotional maturity in his behaviour, and develops a capacity to tolerate frustration and disappointments in his daily life.
- He has developed a philosophy of life that gives meaning and purpose to his daily activities.
- He has a variety of interests and generally lives a well-balanced life of work, rest and recreation.
- He has a sense of personal security and feels secure in a group, shows understanding of other people's problems and motives.
- He has a sense of responsibility.
- He can give and accept love.
- He lives in a world of reality rather than fantasy.
Indicators of Mental Health-
Jahoda (1958) has identified six indicators of mental health-
- 1. A positive attitude towards self
- 2. Growth, development and the ability for self actualization
- 3. Integration -Integration includes the ability to adaptively respond to the environment and the development of a philosophy of life,
- 4. Autonomy- Refers to the individual's ability to perform, in an independent self-directed manner.
- 5. Perception of reality
- 6. Environmental mastery