Anatomy and Physiology
Fundamentals of Nursing
Medical Surgical Nursing
Community Health Nursing
Previous Exam Questions
Medical Surgical Nursing Test - 16
Medical Surgical Nursing
Test - 16
1. Biochemical market of preeclampsia is
S. uric acid
2. In acute overdose of paracetamol elimination half life over 4 hours is associated with
3. The most common cancer associated with AIDS
Small cell carcinoma
4. What is the term for a device used to take the place of a missing body part-
5. A 25-year-old male is admitted in sickle cell crisis. Which of the following interventions would be of highest priority for this client?
Taking hourly blood pressures with mechanical cuff
Encouraging fluid intake of at least 200mL per hour
Administering Tylenol as ordere
Position in high Fowler’s with knee gatch raised
6. The nurse is instructing a client with iron-deficiency anemia. Which of the following meal plans would the nurse expect the client to select?
Pork chop, creamed potatoes, corn, and coconut cake
Roast beef, gelatin salad, green beans, and peach pie
Chicken salad sandwich, coleslaw, French fries, ice cream
Egg salad on wheat bread, carrot sticks, lettuce salad, raisin pie
7. A client has autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura. To determine the client’s response to treatment, the nurse would monitor-
White blood cell count
Partial prothrombin time (PTT)
8. The client with a history of diabetes insipidus is admitted with polyuria, polydipsia, and mental confusion. The priority intervention for this client is-
Encourage increased fluid intake.
Check the vital signs.
Measure the urinary output.
Weigh the client.
9. A client with hemophilia has a nosebleed. Which nursing action is most appropriate to control the bleeding?
Pinch the soft lower part of the nose.
Administer acetaminophen (Tylenol).
Place the client in a sitting position.
Apply ice packs to the forehead.
10. A client had a total thyroidectomy yesterday. The client is complaining of tingling around the mouth and in the fingers and toes. What would the nurses’ next action be-
Assess the dressing for drainage.
Check the calcium level.
Obtain a crash cart.
Assess the blood pressure for hypertension.
11. The nurse is checking the client’s central venous pressure. The nurse should place the zero of the manometer at the:
Tail of Spence
12. The nurse caring for a client after a suspected CVA recognizes which nursing diagnosis as the priority?
Alteration in cerebral tissue perfusion
Sensory perceptual alteration
13. Which assessment finding in a client with COPD indicates to the nurse that the respiratory problem is chronic?
Clubbing of fingers
Wheezing on exhalation
14. A client with advanced Alzheimer’s disease has been prescribed haloperidol. What clinical manifestation suggests that the client is experiencing side effects from this medication?
15. A client who had major abdominal surgery is having delayed healing of the wound. Which laboratory test result would most closely correlate with this problem?
16. The nurse recognizes which of the following as the priority nursing diagnosis for the client in thyroid crisis?
Risk for imbalanced body temperature
Risk for ineffective breathing pattern
Risk for decreased cerebral tissue perfusion
17. Which of the following clients has the highest risk for pulmonary complications after surgery?
A 45-year-old with an open cholecystectomy
A 24-year-old with open reduction internal fixation of the ulnar
A 36-year-old after a hysterectomy
A 50-year-old after a lumbar laminectomy
18. Which clinical manifestation during the actual bone marrow transplantation alerts you to the possibility of an adverse reaction?
Shortness of breath
19. The nurse is assessing the integumentary system of a dark-skinned individual. Which area would be the most likely to show a skin cancer lesion?
20. The nurse notes the following laboratory test results on a 24-hour post-burn client. Which abnormality should be reported to the physician immediately?
Arterial pH 7.34