Anatomy and Physiology
Fundamentals of Nursing
Medical Surgical Nursing
Community Health Nursing
Previous Exam Questions
Community Health Nursing Test - 18
Community Health Nursing
Test - 18
1. Which is true about an operational variable in quantitative research?
It is specific to the time and setting of the research study.
It is often derived from a theoretical definition of a related concept.
It is developed so that the degree of its existence can be measured.
It provides the theoretical meaning of a variable.
2. In a qualitative study, which is true about the definition of research concepts?
They are written to provide a concise measure of theoretical concepts.
They are often defined or described as a result of the study.
They are measureable variables that help illustrate theoretical concepts.
They must be clearly described to proceed with the study.
3. Which type of variable is used in a summary of sample characteristics?
4. An examination of the researcher’s plan for using measurement tools to examine relationships among variables helps determine the:
5. In a research proposal, a statement about expected relationships among variables is the:
6. A reviewer assesses a potential researcher’s credentials and experience, the availability of funding and resources, and ethical considerations of a potential study. This represents evaluation of a study’s-
7. In a research proposal, a statement about expected relationships among variables is the-
8. A nursing researcher determines that there is little information about the use of complementary practices in treating obesity. This represents the research
9. In a research proposal, the researcher states that the proposed study will explore children’s feelings about chemotherapy side effects. This statement describes the-
10. Which is included in a statement of a research study purpose?
A discussion of the significance of the research problem
A review of what is known about the research problem
A description of gaps in knowledge about the research problem
A statement about how the research problem will be studied.
11. The statements in the introductory paragraphs of a research report that cite results of previous studies about a research problem represent the-
12. The nurse researcher states that a research purpose is to measure the effects of bar code medication administration on medication errors. This is a study purpose for which type of research-
13. A researcher develops a study to examine various phenomena that contribute to theory development. This is an example of which type of research?
Grounded theory research
14. A researcher conducts a study to examine the feelings of cancer patients at various points during their disease, including at diagnosis, when beginning chemotherapy, and during remission. Which type of study will the researcher use for this study?
15. When designing a study, which has the greatest influence as a researcher decides which type of qualitative study design to use?
Funding and resources
16. Which qualitative study will call for an exploratory-descriptive study approach?
An examination of the effects of a treatment on various ethnic groups
A review of data in order to evaluate theoretical constructs
A study on a topic about which little is known or understood
An evaluation of clinical outcomes of standard nursing interventions
17. A researcher utilizes an emic approach in a research study in order to:
Examine individual human behavior according to personal biases
Trying to understand behaviors from within a culture
Gather data about lived experiences of individuals.
Use techniques such as bracketing and intuiting.
18. When conducting historical research about the experiences of women refugees from the Sudan, the researcher interviews women who served as nurses among this population. These nurses represent
Primary data sources.
Secondary data sources
Control group subjects.
Experimental group subjects.
19. Which is true about data analysis in a qualitative study?
It requires less time than with quantitative analysis
It is unnecessary in qualitative studies.
It should be consistent with the philosophical method of the study
It has very little structure
20. A researcher classifies words and phrases that occur in data collected in a qualitative study. This process is called-
Dwelling with the data
Interpreting the data
Describing the data
Coding the data